The 2017 American Black Film Festival in Miami was colorful and bright. The stars and attendees not only brought out their A-games to the red carpets, interviews, panels, workshops, and parties but the wardrobes to match.
Janine Sherman Barrois, one of the executive producers from the TV show Claws, got the memo and kept her bag hands-free, stylish, and functional with her Gucci Blooms camera bag. It’s colorful, but not too bright, and can carry all of your essentials. Barrois tied her red carpet look together with a pair of comfortable chunky pink metallic mules from Gucci. The chunky heel is a comfortable and stylish silhouette and the metallic color is on trend for 2017. She touched on most of the “must wear” list!
Songstress Letoya Luckett attended the affair wearing a bright orange lipstick and a nice thin white ensemble with a lace inset. The wife of ABFF founder, Jeff Wright was among the comfortable and stylish at the All White Party as she showed off her toned arms in a sleeveless jumpsuit with hair pulled back in a messy ponytail to keep the nape of her neck cool.
Tasha Smith facilitated the TSAW Master Class wearing a cute flat top fedora, bright yellow T-shirt and a black and white polka dot midi skater skirt. Smith made sure to wear a bright color to balance the darker neutral tones and a flattering skater style silhouette. The flat top fedora pulled the look together and kept the sunlight out of her eyes.
The gents played a vital role in keeping the mood light, airy, and sexy as well with Queen Sugar star, Kofi Siriboe, keeping his look breathable, colorful and comfortable in a print short-sleeve button down. His lightweight ensemble let the breeze in and showed a little eye candy with his toned chest as the focal point.
The outdoors star-studded and sold out All White Party was the perfect setting to don sleeveless, loose-fitting garments that allowed air to flow through the fabric.
Knowing what to bring to Miami for the red carpets, panels, classes, screenings, and parties can be a bit overwhelming, but we found that the attendees and invited guests took the challenge in stride!
- Breathable fabrics
- Comfortable shoes (athletic shoes, chunky heels, wedges, loafers)
- Beachwear (swimsuits, sandals, hats, sunglasses)
- Vibrant colors, colorful prints, and accessories
- Easy to carry bags (backpacks, Crossbody bags, lightweight totes and satchels)
Didn’t get a chance to attend the festival this year? Well it is not too early to begin planning your personal look for the 2018 ABFF or your next beach-front soiree. Here are a few additional tips to consider when attending a festival in a beach town.
- The hot and humid weather will force you to peel back the layers and wear breathable fabrics to be comfortable and as cool as possible during parties, outside red carpets, and photo-ops.
- With all of the walking and picture taking, you needed to be sure to be hands-free, with your bag of choice, but still stylish.
- While roaming and working in Miami, you want to protect your hair and skin. Wearing hats, sunglasses, and clothing that drapes over the skin is ideal.
Check out photo highlights from this year’s festival. Photo Credit: The American Black Film Festival